Search This Blog

Upcoming Reviews

Upcoming Reviews: Brideshead Revisited (3.5), 2012 (3.5), Capitalism: A Love Story (3.5), The Book of Eli (4), Tron (3.5), Tooth Fairy (3)

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Like Stars on Earth - 2007

Movie #116

5 stars

A chronic daydreamer, 8-year-old Ishaan (Darsheel Safary) finds his life take a turn for the worse when his parents, frustrated that he keeps getting into trouble, send him away to a boarding school in hopes he'll become more disciplined. But Ishaan's misery abates when the unconventional new art teacher, Ram Shankar Nikumbh (Aamir Khan), decides to try to help his imaginative young student discover his true identity in this charming Indian drama.

Cast: Aamir Khan, Darsheel Safary, Tanay Chheda, Tisca Chopra, Vipin Sharma, Girija Oak, M.K. Raina

Director: Aamir Khan

2 hours 45 minutes

ONE OF MY TOP 10 FAVORITE MOVIES!

Likes: The acting was incredible. Darsheel Safary was amazing, especially considering he is just a boy. The singing and dancing parts were very much related to the story and actually helped the film progress (for the most part). Even though it is more than 2 and a half hours long, it didn't feel that long. Even though the film was a little cheesy, it wasn't toooo cheesy.

Dislikes: none :)


Interesting trivia (courtesy of good ol' wikipedia):
In looking for an actor to play the central figure of Ishaan, Gupte and Bhatia turned to Shiamak Davar’s Summer Funk workshops. Gupte had a number of boys audition for a scene in which they would informally describe how they would bunk school after being given a few scenarios. Of his decision to cast Darsheel Safary, Gupte recalls that, "it was a tough call. But Darsheel has the mischief in his eyes to be Ishaan. Everyone just naturally gravitated towards him."

Oscar Worthy?: Like Stars on Earth was not selected for the Academy Awards. Why? It's length and musical content. Well I think this is a bunch of buillsh**. Aamir Khan thinks so too..."I don’t make films for awards. I make films for the audience. The audience, for which I have made the film, really loved it and the audiences outside India have also loved it. What I am trying to say is that film has been well loved across the globe and that for me it is extremely heartening and something that I give very high value to."

Screen shots:








I used to sleep like this! My mom can vouch for me :)










How cute is this?

3 comments:

  1. I like this film very much! :-) I am ready to watch this over and over again...I salute Mr. Aamir Khan for all his superb films. God bless you Baliwood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this movie could not be equated with American films because it is absolutely perfect... :D

    ReplyDelete