Search This Blog

Upcoming Reviews

Upcoming Reviews: Brideshead Revisited (3.5), 2012 (3.5), Capitalism: A Love Story (3.5), The Book of Eli (4), Tron (3.5), Tooth Fairy (3)

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

After the Wedding - 2006

Movie #96


4.5 Stars

Synopsis: To save the failing orphanage he runs in India, Danish transplant Jacob Petersen (Mads Mikkelsen) returns to his homeland to meet a self-indulgent businessman named Jørgen who's offered a generous donation -- and represents everything the noble-minded Jacob abhors. Complicating matters further are the unusual strings Jørgen has attached to his so-called gift.

Cast: Mads Mikkelsen, Rolf Lassgård, Sidse Babett Knudsen, Stine Fischer Christensen, Mona Malm, Christian Tafdrup, Niels Anders Thorn, Rita Angela, Erni Arneson

Director: Susanne Bier

Swedish, subtitled. Filmed in Denmark



I loved the beginning...and the ending...but i feel like there was a time in the middle of the movie where my mind started to wander. You may be able to blame it on the fact that I am watching it so late but I think the story was lacking a little. It is almost like the writer knew a good beginning and how they wanted it to end, but didn't know how to effectively transition. I really enjoyed the story though. There were major moments when you thought to yourself "duuhhh, why didn't I see that coming" but nothing was very predictable.

I especially liked the little boy, Pramod, who Jacob pretty much raised while in India. I won't give away how things ended for Pramod but I'll say that it's not a fairy tale ending (as far as I think anyway)

Overall recommendation: definitely worth 2 hours of your life :)



No comments:

Post a Comment