Search This Blog

Upcoming Reviews

Upcoming Reviews: Brideshead Revisited (3.5), 2012 (3.5), Capitalism: A Love Story (3.5), The Book of Eli (4), Tron (3.5), Tooth Fairy (3)

Thursday, July 1, 2010

Full Metal Jacket - 1987

Movie #164

5 stars

Marine recruits (including Matthew Modine and Vincent D'Onofrio) endure the grueling ordeal of basic training and later face the unrelenting Viet Cong during the 1968 Tet Offensive in this grim Stanley Kubrick drama, based on a novel by Gustav Hasford.

Cast: Matthew Modine, Vincent D'Onofrio, R. Lee Ermey, Dorian Harewood, Ed O'Ross, Adam Baldwin, Arliss Howard, Kevyn Major Howard, John Terry, Kieron Jecchinis, Kirk Taylor, Tim Colceri, Jon Stafford, Bruce Boa, Ian Tyler

Director: Stanley Kubrick

Tagline: In Vietnam The Wind Doesn't Blow It Sucks
I loved this film!  In a way I am glad that I hadn't seen it yet.  There are some movies that you should see when you are too young...like The Exorcist.  I will never be more scared watching The Exorcist than when I was 13 or however young I was.  As far as Full Metal Jacket goes, I probably wouldn't have known what a reach-around was when I was 13. 
The first part of this film was amazing.  The boot camp was both hilarious (the sgt. was amazing) and mind-blowing...literally.  Once I started the film I didn't want to stop watching it.  I must admit though, once the film switched to Vietnam I wasn't as enthralled.  But it was still very very good.

Like: D'Onofrio did an amazing job.  wow...I can't even describe how he did such a great job.

Trivia: D'Onofrio gained 70 pounds for his role as Pvt. Pyle, breaking Robert De Niro's movie weight-gain record (60 pounds) for Raging Bull. It took him 7 months to put the weight on and 9 months to take it off.

My only dislike was the narration.  I just didn't see the point of it...and it was distracting.  There wasn't even that much narration.  In my opinion I think Kubkrik could have avoided most of the narration.  Like when the soldiers are going to search the town (I don't know what to call this scene)...the narration of why they were searching (?) could have easily been replaced with the commanding officer giving orders to the men.  I'm just not a big fan of narration...I think that it is overused and it's a cop out. 

The characters were interesting and the story kept my attention.  There isn't anything to really dig deep into...I guess the biggest thing to take away is how these men were not just fellow soldiers...they were friends.  I guess this is true in most every war film...and in real life...when you risk your life for another person you establish a unique bond that lasts forever.  ok..thats cheesy

I love to put some of the film's good quotes but there are too many good ones..and it would just spoil it.

Overall Recommendation:  If you haven't seen it...see it...if you have seen it...see it again.



Budget: $30 million
Domestic Gross: $46.4
Rank #23, Year 1987

No comments:

Post a Comment