Search This Blog

Upcoming Reviews

Upcoming Reviews: Brideshead Revisited (3.5), 2012 (3.5), Capitalism: A Love Story (3.5), The Book of Eli (4), Tron (3.5), Tooth Fairy (3)

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Youth in Revolt - 2009

Movie #147
3.5 stars

Nick Twisp (Michael Cera), a cynical, sex-deprived teenager living a less-than-satisfactory existence, is pushed by the manifestation of his debonair, rebellious id (also Cera) to bed his dream girl, Sheeni Saunders (Portia Doubleday).

Cast: Michael Cera, Portia Doubleday, Jean Smart, Steve Buscemi, Fred Willard, Ray Liotta, Zach Galifianakis, Mary Kay Place, M. Emmet Walsh, Justin Long, Erik Knudsen

Director: Miguel Arteta

Tagline: He Wasn't a Rebel Until He Found His Cause.

I went into this movie with low expectations (very low expectations) and just wanting a few laughs. And thats what I got...a few laughs.

I don't know what I think of Michael Cera...I guess I like him in Juno...but c'mon...enough is enough. It was almost a delight to see his alter ego in the movie. It somewhat proved that Michael Cera may be able to play a character other than the sammmme character he has portrayed his entire career.

The supporting cast made the movie bearable. Zach Galifianakis can always make a scene funny.

However, the 90 minutes still kind of dragged.

Overall Recommendation: Don't rush to see it but I would say it's bearable.


1 comment:

  1. I want to read the book(s) this movie is based on. The dialogue was so hilarious. I really liked how so many funny people were in it...esp zach g.!

    ReplyDelete