Search This Blog

Upcoming Reviews

Upcoming Reviews: Brideshead Revisited (3.5), 2012 (3.5), Capitalism: A Love Story (3.5), The Book of Eli (4), Tron (3.5), Tooth Fairy (3)

Monday, June 28, 2010

Interview with the Vampire - 1994

Movie #157

4.5 stars

Director Neil Jordan's Oscar-nominated tale of bloodsucking immortals moves from 18th century New Orleans to a Grand Guignol theater in Paris to present-day San Francisco as it explores betrayal, love, loneliness and hunger. The lives of a trio of vampires -- cavalier Lestat (Tom Cruise), tormented Louis (Brad Pitt) and childlike Claudia (Kirsten Dunst) -- are interconnected for centuries in this adaptation of Anne Rice's romantic horror tale.

Cast: Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Christian Slater, Antonio Banderas, Stephen Rea, Kirsten Dunst, Thandie Newton

Director: Neil Jordan

Tagline:  Drink From Me And Live Forever

This film puts Twilight and True Blood to shame.  All three were/are based on books...but Interview with the Vampire clearly comes out on top.  I don't know if True Blood could be made into a movie...and Twilight caters to the teeny boppers...it's still entertaining I have to admit.

I watched this film when I was younger...14?  The only part I remember is when Kirsten Dunst cuts off her hair and it grows back...the silly things kids remember.  Speaking of Kirsten...I think this is her best acting performance.  Yes, they may be a little harsh but she did a fabulous job.  She was only 14.

Like:  Most of the time the whole "I am going to tell you a story" blah blahnes doesn't seem to work out.  But the cuts back to present day were superbly done.  It didn't interrupt the storyline.  And when Mr. Pitt would go back to telling the story, there would be a little narration for a couple of minutes.  This could have been a big mistake but in the end I think this was the best way to approach the story.

Like:  Even though I would have loved Johnny Depp instead of Tom Cruise (yes, he was offered the part- can you imagine Pitt and Depp as vampires...wow), I still think Cruise did a wonderful job playing Lestat.  I almost kinda hate...no wait..I should say strongly dislike...Tom Cruise, I think it worked to the film's advantage.  By me hating Tom Cruise the actor, it allowed me to hate Lestat the character.

Like:  I was thoroughly entertained throughout. It's just over 2 hours...I felt satisfied, that I didn't miss out on anything, and most importantly, I wasn't bored.  That is a hard feat for films.  It was the perfect length.  If anything I could have used a little but more Brad Pitt.  (I can visit the other team can't I?)  Oh and it has Antonio Banderas in it too.

Like: The shots of the cities were excellent...even if some of them were fake.

Overall Recommendation:  If you like Brad Pitt, vampires, or just entertaining films then check it out!



Budget: $60 million
Gross: $223,664,608  (53% non-US)

Quote:
Brad Pitt: That morning I was not yet a vampire, and I saw my last sunrise. I remember it completely, and yet I can't recall any sunrise before it. I watched its whole magnificence for the last time as if it were the first. And then I said farewell to sun light, and set out to become what I became.  [it sounds cheesy but it just worked.]

Trivia:
  • Christian Slater was given the role of Daniel upon the death of River Phoenix, who was originally supposed to be Daniel.  Then Slater donated his $250,000 salary to two of River Phoenix's favorite charities.   [how awesome is that!]
  • Tom Cruise spent 3 and a half hours every day in the make-up chair. Cruise prepped for the role of Lestat by watching videos of lions attacking zebras in the wild.  [maybe this is why he is crazy?]
  • Tom Cruise was placed on an elevated platform during some scenes to reduce the height difference between his character and other vampires. [haha]

No comments:

Post a Comment