Search This Blog

Upcoming Reviews

Upcoming Reviews: Brideshead Revisited (3.5), 2012 (3.5), Capitalism: A Love Story (3.5), The Book of Eli (4), Tron (3.5), Tooth Fairy (3)

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are - 2009

Movie #161

3 stars

Max (Max Records) imagines running away from his mom and sailing to a far-off land where large talking beasts -- Ira, Carol, Douglas, the Bull, Judith and Alexander -- crown him as their king, play rumpus, build forts and discover secret hideaways.

Cast: Max Records, James Gandolfini, Catherine Keener, Lauren Ambrose, Catherine O'Hara, Forest Whitaker, Chris Cooper, Mark Ruffalo, Paul Dano, Michael Berry Jr.

Director: Spike Jonze

I must say, I was very disappointed.  I didn't even have such high expectation...but I did have expectations nonetheless.  I can't even picture a kid enjoying this.  I found myself hoping that Max would just go back home.  The film was so dark.  It just lack something...I can't even pinpoint it.

I did think that Gandolfini did a wonderful job playing Carol.  Most the the time I always imagine the actors face in place of the character's but I didn't for this one.  Maybe it's because the two look-a-like. :)  My favorite character was probably Alexander, the goat, voiced by Paul Dano. 

Catherine Keener [Please Give] did a wonderful job.  She was the only good part of the very very boring beginning of the movie.  But some things are meant to just be books.

Overall Recommendation:  You may just want to skip this one but there are a few good scenes.




No comments:

Post a Comment